Questions? Christina@funmuseum.org or 608-784-2652 x226
Unleash your student's imaginations with an educational and entertaining field trip to the Children's Museum in downtown La Crosse, Wisconsin.
When can we visit?
1 ½ to 2-hour field trips are scheduled on first-come, first-serve basis between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm, Tuesdays through Fridays. The Museum is open to the public from 10 am to 5 pm.
What does a field trip cost?
$5.00 per child (must be pre-registered for this rate)
Payment is due in full on field trip date. Overpayment of less than $25 (due to missing students) will be refunded with single admission passes. Overpayment of over $25 will be refunded with a check to be mailed within 30 days of visit.
Museum memberships are not valid for field trip visits.
Are there any discounts for low-income groups?
Some years, the Children’s Museum secures grant funding to support schools/groups with large populations of economically disadvantaged families and/or special needs students. We are also working to secure sponsors for free kindergarten field trips from some communities. If you think your group may qualify, call to inquire about eligibility and availability.
What about adult chaperones?
At least one adult chaperone is required for every five children.
All of your chaperones are FREE with a pre-scheduled field trip of 10 or more kids, but we will charge a $5.00 per missing chaperone fee if less than 1 adult per 5 children.
At all times while at the Museum, chaperones are expected to facilitate appropriate behavior in the Museum, play with and supervise the children, help children to pick up exhibit areas after use, and follow all rules.
What will we see?
Your self-guided tour will begin with an orientation by Museum staff, followed by an optional, interactive presentation for some groups (see below), and then your students and adult chaperones will explore the Museum’s three floors of interactive exhibits at your own pace until your designated departure time.
You and your students will:
- Design, build and cross some Bridges…
- Control the flow of real water in the Mighty Mississippi…
- Operate the Kids’ Crane…
- Discover a tree with lots of surprises…
- Create a colorful design with Doodle Dots...
- Make an impression on the giant pin screen…
- Send colorful scarves “whooshing” through clear, twisty tubes…
- Step into interactive games and images in EyePlay...
- Expand your knowledge about dinosaurs in the Dino Revolution maze...
- Be a firefighter, complete with uniforms, real fire engine, station and “burning” house...
- Be a cashier, customer or stocker in the kid-sized convenience store…
- Report the news and weather from WKID TV…
- Learn and demonstrate money smarts in the kid-sized bank ...
- Get your heart rate up and challenge your memory at NEOS...and much more!
All two-hour field trips of 15 or more students, grades K-5, may choose one of the following 20-minute interactive presentations for the beginning of your visit. EXCEPTION: Due to high field trip volume, we cannot offer interactive presentations during the month of May. We do not recommend a presentation for children younger than kindergarten or for groups with less than two hours in the Museum.
- Wildlife on the Mississippi—Join in a discussion of the plants and wildlife that live within our National Wildlife Refuge (appropriate for all grade levels).
- Stuffee – learn about the digestive, circulatory and respiratory systems with our big fabric friend (appropriate for all grade levels).
- Fire Safety – a La Crosse Firefighter will share fire safety tips (best for K-2nd grades).
- Weather – Learn how NewsChannel 8 weather staff predict and report the weather (best for 3rd-5th grades).
- Coulee Region Humane Society – Learn about the animals they help, the Pet Therapy teams they train, and how to be safe around animals you don't know (best for K-3rd grades).
- Money Matters – Citizens State Bank staff make learning about money fun (best for 3rd-5th grades).
- STEM Science Lab: Increase your Sci-Q as we explore the magic of science with hands-on experiments (best for k-5 grade levels).
Where should we pick up and drop off our group?
Buses should drop off and pick up either in the alley at the rear of the Museum or on the corner of 5th & Jay in front of the Hollywood Theater. Turn off engine while unloading/loading. Buses may not remain in loading area during field trip. Use Group Entrance at rear of Museum to enter and exit.
Other vehicles may use 2-hour street parking or park for up to 3 hours free in the Market Square Ramp (enter from Jay Street between 4th & 5th Streets). Parking is not allowed in the private King on 5th and Cathedral parking lots behind the Museum.
Can we eat at the Museum?
There is a room in the Museum's lower level available for snacks/lunch for a fee of $35 for up to 1 1/2 hours. Groups of more then 30 students will have to rotate in and out of this room. If a reserved lunch room is canceled, a setup fee of $10 will still be due. There is also a small park nearby (no shelter or playground).
How do we schedule a Museum field trip?
Call (608)784-2652 x226 Monday through Friday 8:30-4:30 for more information or to schedule a field trip. After scheduling a field trip, you will receive a written confirmation and other important information about your group's visit.
Do you have a gift shop?
We have a gift shop with a variety of affordable items. Adult supervision is required.
What if we have less than 10 kids in our group and/or we can’t pre-schedule our visit?
If your group of 10 or more people visits during regular hours without pre-registration, you may request the group discount of $1.00 off per person (no free adults/staff). Another option, if you plan repeat visits, may be our prepaid admission program for non-profit organizations and child care providers. Details here.
"Outstanding job—Thanks for making learning outside of the classroom as fun and educational as it is inside the classroom. Children's Museum ROCKS!" - Nancy Gillmore, Holmen School District
"I have been taking 1st graders to the Children's Museum for nearly 16 years & the kids always love it!" - Jeannine, NOW Elementary
"Thank you so much for allowing us to explore at your museum! The children and families had an amazing time! We can't wait to come back in years to come. Many families had not had the chance to visit the Children's Museum before, so they talked about going back often with their own families. Your staff was awesome and welcoming!" - Whitney Tollefson, Melrose-Mindoro 4K