Ask questions and/or request your field trip: Hannah@funmuseum.org or 608-784-2652. Read current issue of Teacher Topics newsletter here.
Unleash your student's imaginations with an educational and entertaining field trip to the Children's Museum in downtown La Crosse, Wisconsin.
Your self-guided tour will begin with an orientation by Museum staff (and interactive presentation if requested - see below) and then your students and adult chaperones will explore the Museum’s three floors of interactive exhibits at your own pace until your designated departure time.
You and your students will:
- Climb up and through our eye-catching Luckey Climber...
(sponsored by the Cleary-Kumm Foundation)
- Design, build and cross some Bridges…
- Control the flow of real water in the Mighty Mississippi…
- Discover a tree with lots of surprises…
- Make an impression on the pin screen…
- Create a bright design on Doodle Dots...
- Report the news and weather from WKID TV…
- Step into interactive games and images in EyePlay...
- Send colorful scarves “whooshing” through clear, twisty tubes…
- Expand your knowledge about dinosaurs in the Dino Revolution maze...
- Be a firefighter, complete with uniforms, real fire engine, station and “burning” house...
- Be a cashier, customer or stocker in the kid-sized convenience store…
- Learn and demonstrate money smarts in the kid-sized bank ...
- Get your heart rate up and challenge your memory at NEOS...and much more silly smart fun!
Two-hour field trips of 15 or more students may choose one of the following 20-minute interactive presentations for the beginning of your visit. Available Tuesday-Friday from June-April (dates may be restricted by special events or exhibits being hosted in the museum).
NOTE: We do not recommend a presentation for groups with less than two hours in the Museum to give adequate time to explore the 3 floors of exhibits.Presentations must be requested at least one week in advance and are pending staff availability. Large groups may be split into multiple presentation times.
- Wiggle, Giggle, and Move: Sing, dance, giggle and more! Let's get moving before you go explore! (Pre-school-Kindergarten).
- Silly Smart Science: Increase your Sci-Q as we explore the magic of science with interactive experiments (K-4th Grade).
- Amazing Animals of the Mississippi: What animal is that? Learn about wildlife that live in our region and how we can help protect them (K-4th Grade).
- Pet Friendly Fun: Visit with special guests (animal & human) from the Coulee Region Humane Society to learn about the animals they help and how to interact safely with animals you don't know (K-3rd grade).
- Wild about Weather: Learn how NewsChannel 8 weather staff predict and report the weather (3rd-4th grade).
- Money Matters: Citizens State Bank staff make learning about money fun (3rd-4th grade).
- Stop, Drop, and Learn: Learn fire safety from a real La Crosse Firefighter! (K-2nd grade).
Important questions teachers ask:
What age is appropriate for a trip to the Children's Museum?
We recommend visits to groups in Preschool through 4th grade.
When can we visit?
1 ½ to 2-hour field trips are scheduled on first-come, first-serve basis between 9:00 am and 3:00 pm, Tuesdays through Fridays. The Museum is open to the public from 10 am to 5 pm. (Trips may also be available on certain weekends during regular museum hours - no orientation or presentations)
What does a field trip cost?
$5.00 per child with FREE adult chaperones.
Groups must have 10 or more students & pre-registration is required to qualify for this rate - find other group discount options
Museum memberships are not valid for field trip visits.
Payment is due in full on field trip date unless you previously arrange to be invoiced. Overpayment of less than $25 (due to missing students) will be refunded with single admission passes. Overpayment of $25 or more will be refunded by check within 30 days of visit.
Are there any discounts for low-income groups?
Some years, the Children’s Museum secures grant funding to support schools/groups with large populations of economically disadvantaged families and/or special needs students. We also work to secure sponsors for free kindergarten field trips from some communities. If you think your group may qualify, call to inquire about eligibility and availability.
How many adults can I bring?
At least one adult chaperone is required for every five children but the more the merrier!
All of your chaperones are FREE with a pre-scheduled field trip of 10 or more kids, but we will charge a $5.00 per missing chaperone fee if less than 1 adult per 5 children attend.
At all times while at the Museum, chaperones are expected to facilitate appropriate behavior, play with and supervise the children, help children to pick up exhibit areas after use, and follow all rules.
Where should we pick up and drop off our group & park during our visit?
Buses/Vans should drop off and pick up in the alley at the rear of the Museum. Do not block traffic in front of the museum. Please turn off engine while unloading/loading. Vehicles may not remain in loading area during field trip. All members of group must use entrance at rear of Museum.
Vehicles may use 2-hour street parking or park for up to 3 hours free in the Market Square Ramp (enter from Jay Street between 4th & 5th). Parking is not allowed in the private King on 5th and Cathedral parking lots behind the Museum.
Can we eat at the Museum?
Pending availability, schools may reserve our lunch room for $35 for up to 2 hours. Groups with more then 30 people will have to rotate in and out of this room. Please reserve at least 48 hours in advance. If a reserved lunch room is canceled within 48 hours of your trip, a setup fee of $10 will be charged.
How do we schedule a Museum field trip?
Call (608)784-2652 Monday through Friday for more information or to schedule a group visit. After scheduling your field trip, you will receive an e-mail confirmation with important information about your group's visit. Please read thoroughly and let us know of any questions, concerns, or changes leading up to your visit.
Do you have a gift shop?
Yes! During our visit, you may also explore our gift shop with a variety of affordable and educational items. Adult supervision is required.
Educators get 10% off gift shop purchases!
What if we have less than 10 kids in our group and/or we can’t pre-schedule our visit?
If your group of 10 or more people visits during regular hours without pre-registration, you may request the group discount of $1.00 off per person (no free adults/staff). Another option, if you plan repeat visits, may be our prepaid admission program for non-profit organizations and child care providers. Details here.
What teachers are saying about their visit:
"Outstanding job—Thanks for making learning outside of the classroom as fun and educational as it is inside the classroom. Children's Museum ROCKS!" - Nancy Gillmore, Holmen School District
"I have been taking 1st graders to the Children's Museum for nearly 16 years & the kids always love it!" - Jeannine, NOW Elementary
"Thank you so much for allowing us to explore at your museum! The children and families had an amazing time! We can't wait to come back in years to come. Many families had not had the chance to visit the Children's Museum before, so they talked about going back often with their own families. Your staff was awesome and welcoming!" - Whitney Tollefson, Melrose-Mindoro 4K